Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Downtown Ashville hotels/walking distance

I am looking at the Day%26#39;s Inn on 120 Patton Avenue, and as far as I can tell, that seems to be in the downtown, Pack Place, shopping, things to do, restaurants, bars, area. Is that right? Well, it has a good price (around $60./night) but that may be too good to be true. Will I have drunks roaming the halls and cockroaches? What is safety like at night in Ashville? Any walking around concerns for a 50s age couple?Any other recommendations for downtown hotels? I really like the idea of just walking out the door, and being in the middle of things. However, I am...........cheap. So, I am asking the impossible: clean, safe (fancy not necessary), for under $100.



Advice? (also specifically about Day%26#39;s Inn) Thanks in advance.



Downtown Ashville hotels/walking distance


DO NOT stay at the Days Inn. There have been posts here and elsewhere by people who mistakenly booked this hotel and then moved because it was so undesirable.



Also downtown there are the Haywood Park Hotel and the Renaissance. Both of them will be over $100, though you might be able to get some special deals in the winter which is slow season.



There are numerous Bed and Breakfasts in Montford and off Chestnut Street and Charlotte Street that are also within walking distance and again, you may find deals in the winter.



Asheville is by and large safe at night, but just as in any city, you should be careful and stay in well lit areas and not by yourself.



Downtown Ashville hotels/walking distance


I%26#39;m with Weaverville on this one. Please, please DO NOT stay at the Days Inn. We have friends who stayed there. Actually they checked in and a couple hours later we received a desperate phone call. That evening we found a place for them at the Residence Inn. Not within walking distance to restaurants, bars, shopping but at least this hotel is in a safe area, clean and quiet. If they just asked before booking. I am sorry I cannot help but finding a decent lodging for less than $100.00 within walking distance to everything it seems like almost impossible mission




OK, I won%26#39;t! That is exactly the info I was looking for. I actually DO like staying at nice hotels, but was trying to budget the long road trip (in early June, by the way) when I could. The rate did look too good to be true, and when it is so low in a downtown area, I guess you pay the price in other ways. I%26#39;ve been looking at the Princess Anne Hotel on East Chestnut Street which is basically double the cost, but looks very nice indeed and includes breakfast. It seems to be about a mile away from downtown. If we can%26#39;t go economy, we might as well enjoy ourselves. Any other suggestions are welcome. Also, what other areas of Ashville besides downtown are interesting walk around/shop/people watch/bar and restaurant areas?



Ashville looks like a great place to visit on the way to the Outer Banks.



Thanks for the input.




planetj, great decision. I, or anyone I know, never stayed in Princess Anne Hotel on East Chestnut Street but I heard some positive comments. Hopefully, Weaverville is going to provide a little more than that. If you are coming in the beginning of June then it is a great time for visiting the area. For how long are you coming? Are you interested only in restaurants, bars, shopping or would you like to see what the area has to offer? Are you interested in scenic drives, hikes, blooming flowers, blooming rhododendrons? Biltmore gardens should be spectacular at that time and do not miss the Arboretum. There is so much to see and do in June. So for how long are you coming? What are your interests besides shopping, bars and restaurants? I wouldn%26#39;t travel to Asheville for shopping opportunities but that%26#39;s just my opinion.





I don%26#39;t know what routes are you traveling on from Wisconsin but if you find yourself on route I-40 going south take a detour to Great Smoky Mountains National Park and from there drive on Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Asheville. Spectacular drive and stop in many places to see blooming wildflowers, admire views and please do stop at the overview for Graveyard Fields and take a walk through a rhododendron tunnel to the falls




My Travelin%26#39; Plans: Wisconsin, then through the boring stuff of Illinois (sorry, Illinois), Indiana, stay in Louisville. Drive I64 to I75 in Kentucky down to Corbin, then branch off onto 25E down to the Cumberland Gap and stay the night somewhere (?)in Middlesboro. (I know: long day.) Next day head down to Hot Springs and stay in at Treehouse Cabins. Take a dip in the mineral waters, a hike on the Appalachian. Sleep soundly. Then down to Asheville, wherever I end up staying for probably two nights. Maybe check out the Biltmore, and by shopping I mean check out the downtown that has been described as funky/hip/reborn downtown. True? I love to eat well. In fact, my theme for the trip is BBQ, so I have mapped out a string of barbecue haunts across North Carolina until we reach Ocracoke. I%26#39;ve been reading the Asheville forum and copying info on where to go and do. So advise away!



thanks once again.




The Princess Anne is very nice, have seen rooms and had dinner there when they were doing dinners (only for a short time). Have heard nothing but positives.



There is a B%26amp;B (Cedar Crest I think) and Residence Inn just outside Biltmove Village and you could walk into the village in 5-10 min or up hill to downtown Ashevill in about 25-35 min.



Our best BBQ place is probably 12 Bones.




Hi planetj, Sounds like a great trip you have planned.



When I am going downeast I make sure to stop in Wilson, NC to get some good BBQ at Parkers. Large combo includes great fried chicken and bbq. Cornsticks are great and sweet tea not to be missed.





Enjoy!




Parkers%26#39; in Wilson. Putting it on the list. I am going to be a porker myself by the time I hit (with a big splash)the ocean. 12 Bones in Asheville.



So far:



1. Mountain View Barbecue in Hickory



2.Lexington Barbecue in Lexington



3.Backyard BBQ Pit in Durham



4.NOW: Parkers in Wilson



5.B%26#39;s Barbecue in Greenville





You now see my route across NC. But can I really eat that much? Hmmmmm.....





I know there are lots more places, but I had to make choices, and make it across the state in a day or two, and eat, and.........survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment