Friday, April 13, 2012

Market/Grocery Stores

My husband and I are going up the second weekend in February. We are staying at Barkwell%26#39;s - cabins outside of Asheville where you can bring your dog so he can play in the 5 acre fenced-in property.





We will have a kitchen and I would like to cook some semi-gourmet food. Does anyone have any suggestions on good quality markets or grocery stores? We would also like suggestions on any good wine stores as well.





Thanks!



Market/Grocery Stores


I took a look at the website and you will actually be in Fletcher which is about 20-25 minutes outside of downtown Asheville, though the map on that site says only 9 miles - that%26#39;s not to downtown Asheville.



The biggest supermarkets in the area are Ingles which you will be familiar with from Tucker, though I think the store you have there is smaller and older than any in this area.



There is another small market along 280, I think maybe a Food Lion or Bi Lo but I don%26#39;t know how good it is. You may want to stop at one of the larger Ingles in Hendersonville or Fletcher before you get to your cabin if you want more of a selection. Alternatively a drive into Brevard (about 15 minutes or less) would put you at Poppies on your right which has limited food, large wine and cheese section and people seem to like the meat or a little further up on the left there is a brand new Ingles with a Starbucks.



Brevard is also a nice place to pass some time.



Market/Grocery Stores


There is an Earth Fare grocery on Hendersonville Rd. It%26#39;s a large organic-gourmet grocery--think Whole Foods. While I have not been to this particular Earth Fare, I frequent the one in W. Asheville. The one on Hendersonville is about a year old and is supposed to be grand. They have wines, also, and there is a store called Wine Guy also on Hendersonville Rd.



Welcome to Asheville--we are v. dog friendly here!




I wouldn%26#39;t want to deal with the stop and go traffic of H-ville road if I was on vacation...of course you are from metro Atlanta so you may feel right at home :{



There is a nice wine store in Brevard but both Poppies and Ingles have a big selection and Ingles has very good prices on wine.




The best gourmet shopping store is in Hendersonville on Greenville Hwy (just south of downtown) called the Fresh Market. I used to live in Stone Mountain, GA - very close to Tucker - before moving to H%26#39;ville 2 years ago! Welcome! Anyway - the Fresh Market is on the right. Also, you will find several good wine stores - there are a couple in downtown H%26#39;ville and there is a very nice one in Flat Rock, which is also on the south side of H%26#39;ville.




sorry - I have no idea about markets - but I am very interested in hearing how your stay at Barkwell is - i am looking at booking some time there in july for my husbands 30th bday - he doesn%26#39;t want to go anywhere with out our furry child! If you think about it please post a review- or email me at lgoubeaux at gmail.com



Thanks! Enjoy the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment