Sunday, April 22, 2012

First trip to Outer Banks May 08, need advice

I don%26#39;t know where I should stay in the Outer Banks! I have looked at so many homes online--there are too many choices. At first, I was looking at Corolla Light, but I really want to see the Hatteras Lighthouse while I%26#39;m there--and don%26#39;t want to drive for hours. I want to go Roanoke Island, visit interesting shops, and I would really like to go to Ocracoke. I am traveling with my husband and 2 kids (9 and 7). I found some reasonably priced oceanfront homes in Waves--is this a good area? I also looked at some soundfront homes with amazing views, but I%26#39;m worried that we would have to drive too far to get to the beach. I looked at Nags Head, but the homes there seemed old and dark. I want bright and cheery with a great view.



Also, I plan to arrive the 3rd week of May. Is the water too cold for swimming?



Thanks for your help!





First trip to Outer Banks May 08, need advice


My husband and I have only vacationed on the ';north beach'; in the Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area so I unfortunately can not comment on (northern) Corolla or (southern) Waves areas. We prefer that area because everything is within a short drive, and we spend most of our time on the beach anyway. I would say that the water would be pretty chilly in May, but perhaps bareable. The weather is always a little cooler on the outer banks to due it%26#39;s location, but think about it this way: if you are going in May you will certainly miss the hurricane season! Check out some of these sites and see if they can help you:



Water Temps: www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html



General Outer Banks Info: www.insiders.com/outerbanks



www.obxconnection.com



www.ncbeaches.com/outerbanks



www.outerbanks.org



First trip to Outer Banks May 08, need advice


Waves is a good area for first timers it will allow you to go either north or south for day trips with out being on the road all day





Nags Head would be my 2 nd choice as you are close to shopping restaurants and other tourist stops





But if Sound side with a view is your thing you will not be far from the beach as it is less then a ½ mile wide in Waves area , also you can drive just north or south of the village to find a parking lot leading to the beach, however if you have 4 wheel drive you can drive on the beach here too.





Weather should be warm enough to swim but the water might be a little cold but that never stopped my children it just take a few minutes to get use to it.





Take a look at this site for new comers it will help you in other information.





http://fishoinc.tripod.com/




Waves is a good area for first timers it will allow you to go either north or south for day trips with out being on the road all day





Nags Head would be my 2 nd choice as you are close to shopping restaurants and other tourist stops





But if Sound side with a view is your thing you will not be far from the beach as it is less then a ½ mile wide in Waves area , also you can drive just north or south of the village to find a parking lot leading to the beach, however if you have 4 wheel drive you can drive on the beach here too.





Weather should be warm enough to swim but the water might be a little cold but that never stopped my children it just take a few minutes to get use to it.





Take a look at this site for new comers it will help you in other information.





http://fishoinc.tripod.com/




Check village realty in Nags Head. They have a lot of new houses, a pool and golf course. The water temps will still be very cold the first week in May.




We go very year and rent in Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area. It is convenient to everything. The ocean will be too cold to swim but I would advise getting a home with a heated pool. You are going in the off season, so rental prices are pretty reasonable. Try going to www.joelambjr.com. They have a lot of homes with heated pools. Outer banks is a great vacation spot, you%26#39;ll have a wonderful time!




We stayed in Rodanthe this past August. We always got into the car and drove back north to find stuff to do. With kids your age I would recommend staying in Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head areas. This is the most commercialized area of the OBX. Plenty of places to go and things to do. Don%26#39;t miss the Wright Brothers museum. I agree with the other members who say get a house with a pool. The waves were so big and strong this past summer in Rodanthe that it was not enjoyable. Never had that problem with the waves in KH/KDH/NH areas. The NH YMCA has a kids water park. You can visit for about $40 day per family. The kids would also enjoy the aquarium and Roanoke Island Festival Park on Manteo Island. Check out VGNet.com and the Sunnydayguide.com for things to do and coupons. We%26#39;ve had lots of luck with www.resortrealty.com.





Enjoy, Steve




Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area is going to be your best bet for the things that you mentioned you would like to do. Maybe even consider Avon.




Thanks everyone for your replies. You%26#39;ve been a great help! I found a house on the sound in a good location, and I think with a reputable company (MIdgett Realty).




I’m glad you did there is one thing they tell new comers, Never take you shoes off, if you get that sand between your toes you will never want to leave.





Midgets been around for some time although I have never rented from them I have never heard any complaint either . I’m sure you will have a great time.




Hatteras Light is in Buxton on Hatteras Island, and Okracoke is a ferry ride from Hatteras, so with these 2 and Manteo on the top of your list, I would suggest that you stay either on Hatteras Island or in Nags Head (which is the southernmost part of the ';north'; beaches). You might also want to visit the Bodie Island lighthouse.





Hatteras Island towns are my favorite because they are much less developed and my idea of a vacation is to sit on the beach with a book, with occasional breaks for boogie boarding and sand castle construction. But for some folks these towns seem really boring. If the kids will be happy playing in the sand and riding bikes, Hatteras Island is great, but if they want more activities, you may want to stay in Nags Head, where there are a few more activity sorts of things.





It will take you over an hour to drive from Nags Head to the ferry at Hatteras to cross to Okracoke. Manteo is probably about 30 - 45 minutes from Nags Head (but in a slightly different direction - not towards Hatteras Island).





Chances are you have a very short walk to the ocean from a Waves soundfront home.





On Hatteras Island, Midgett is good, and so is Hatteras Realty and Outer Beaches. I%26#39;m not as familiar with the agencies for the north beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment