Monday, April 16, 2012

Help With Cary?

Hello! My husband and I are coming to Cary to try and get a feel for what the area is like as we are considering relocating...We would love advice on:

1. where to stay -- somewhere we could get a feel for what Cary could offer if we were to move

2. what to do/where to eat, what to see, where to hike, etc. to ';taste'; life in Cary

We%26#39;d appreciate any and all your input. Thanks in advance!

Holly

Help With Cary?

Hi Holly,

Are you firmly decided on Cary? Cary is a sleepy %26#39;burb of the Triangle region. While it does have great schools and affordable housing, there is little that I would consider very cultural.

Do you intend to check out the entire Triangle region (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) - if so, there are a million things to do, see, experience.

Can you tell us a bit about your likes/dislikes so we have a place to start from?

Dawn

Help With Cary?

They%26#39;ve probably already come and gone...but I had to chuckle at Cary being ';sleepy';! I was just down there couple of weeks ago - stayed at the Holiday Inn...the traffic was as bad as Charlotte!


Thanks Dawn! No, we are not decided on Cary, in fact, we don%26#39;t know very much about the whole Triangle region...? We had read about Cary being in the top 10 best places to live, and I, being a high school teacher, did research regarding available jobs. Turns out Cary is growing so fast that wouldn%26#39;t be a problem.

BUT, if you would care to shed light on Chapel Hill, Apex, Holly Springs, Raleigh, Durham, etc. we%26#39;d certainly appreciate it!

stuff we like:

1. Value-priced housing (big house, smallish mortgage!)

2. Dog friendly

3. Tennis

4. Good schools

5. MIX of people with various backgrounds, perspectives

6. Family friendly

7. wine/food lovers -- (good restaurants)

Thanks for any help! If anyone up there needs info on Argentina, we%26#39;d be happy to help!

Holly


I have numerous family members living in Cary and I happen to love it because it is ';sleepy';! Very family friendly. As well as being ideally located to get to just about anywhere else for the ';cultural'; side of things.


I currently reside by the coast near Wilmington, NC. My sweety lives close to Cary so we travel there alot to dine, shop, movies, etc. I find the area to be beautiful, safe, and friendly. Holly Springs is gorgeous to me, but then again I love the feel of living in nature and being close to shopping! Also, another plus is you are approximately 2 hrs from the beach! The thing about the triangle area is your so close to the next town that u can easily see and do more with less effort. Good luck!


I visit friends in Cary every year and everytime I do I always drive around areas like Raleigh or Fuquay-Varina just to learn more of my way around there. Although the areas are pretty spread out (compared to where I live) nothing is really that far away. It%26#39;s beautiful there. The people there are wonderful with their southern hospitality. The restaurants on South Glenwood are numerous and diverse. I yet have to try many of them. I%26#39;m always stopping by Snoopy%26#39;s for their tasty hotdogs! I did notice that %26#39;brains%26#39; is on the menu a bit often. And also smoking is still allowed in restaurants, though not all. I have not ventured out of the Raleigh area and it%26#39;s nearby towns so I can%26#39;t say much on outdoor activities. One of my friends who does live there loves to stay in the mountains once in a while as well as at the beach. I LOVE Raleigh - just wish I could afford to visit more often.

Enjoy the grits!


To answer your original question, I recommend the Embassy Suites off Harrison Avenue. You%26#39;re right at I-40 so you can shoot to just about anywhere in Cary within 10-15 minutes (In good traffic Raleigh is 5 minutes, Durham-15, Chapel-20). You are in a pretty mixed residential/business area (Weston), and walking distance to Ruth%26#39;s Chris, Bonefish, an upscale Asian fusion restaurant, and much more. If you really have money stay/eat at The Umstead, the Triangle%26#39;s brand new only 5 star hotel. As for parks, you are 2 minutes from Umstead State Park, across the lake from Lake Crabtree Park, and so much more. Cary is a great area, and this is exactly the areas you need to see to start to get the taste of the area. Enjoy.


In response to someone saying that Cary isn%26#39;t sleepy b/c they stayed at a Holiday Inn in Cary--just b/c something has a Cary address doesn%26#39;t mean you have experienced Cary by staying there.

If you stayed at the HI on Dillard Dr, that is located on the border of Cary and Raleigh and within one of the largest retail developments that serves both cities.

There is one other one with a Cary address by the airport.

Both of these hotels are very near major freeways to make them convenient for visitors to both Raleigh and Cary.

Cary is huuuuuge, so there are many different places within to choose from.

Cary and Morrisville are the closest suburbs to Research Triangle Park where most of the jobs are unless you work for a university.

My husband has a very short commute compared with other places. On a bad day its 45 minutes. But usually it%26#39;s about 20.

In fact, the reason we have not moved to Apex or Chatham county where we could get a little more land is because it would increase his commute.

The other aspect is that the tax rate is lower than other nearby cities/towns.

  • computercannotloadwindows
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment