Friday, April 13, 2012

Which bridge??

Hi! I%26#39;ve booked a two-week camping visit at Holiday Trav-L-Park on EI for the first two-weeks of August. We%26#39;ll be pulling a 23%26#39; travel trailer with our dual cab pickup truck.

I%26#39;ve read that the traffic will probably be snarled getting onto the island, so I%26#39;m wondering which bridge would be the best to cross? Which one backs up the worst?

I know that the bridge in Morehead City goes straight into Atlantic Beach, but if it doesn%26#39;t get backed up as bad as the one into EI, I wonder if we would do better coming accross at Morehead City and driving from Atlantic Beach to EI?

Plus, I have to remember that we are pulling a travel trailer and I%26#39;m not sure how that would be coming down the island. I%26#39;m assuming using the bridge into EI would be best, but thought I%26#39;d ask . . . Thanks!

Which bridge??

It all depends on the time of day you get to the bridges. I have gotten backed up at both of them, mostly trying to get off the island.

The problem with the atlantic beach bridge is you have to go through Morehead City and perhaps Havelock (depending on the direction you are coming form), and traffic can be bad going through those areas.

Emerald Isle bridge gets bad becasue its 2 lane. So traffic has to merge together to get across the bridge.

Which bridge??

One more thing warning really. Drive carefully and keep a watchful eye out. I have seen so many people speed up as the lanes are merging and cut off trucks and people hauling trailers or boats.


Thanks! It sounds like we will be using the EI bridge as it is most direct. Our check-in time at the campground is 2pm, but we%26#39;re coming from Ohio so I%26#39;ll be surprised if we can get there by then. I have heard that the home rentals check in at 4pm so it would be helpful if we got there first.

I know what you mean about getting cut-off. We had our last camper TOTALED at a Maryland REST STOP (go figure)! The guy saw our truck, but somehow didn%26#39;t realize that we were towing a trailer and pulled right into it. Still makes me cringe!

Anyway, do you have any idea on what time the bridge would be backed up the most in August. Meaning what time should I just AVOID, by stopping for dinner or something!!!???


The times I would try to avoid are:

9 - 10am to avoid us day trippers and

2 - 5pm as that is when everyone who is checking into a weekly house rental or hotel will be going over.

  • myspace codes
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment