Friday, March 30, 2012

Chicago Group to UNC-Carrboro. HELP PLEASE, thank you

Hi,



I was just looking for some advice on a trip my friends and I taking to Chapel Hill-Carrboro during the month of February.





I have been to UNC-Chapel Hill a few times and I have fallen in love with the place and I know the group is going to enjoy their first time there but I wanted to make sure I was taking them to the right places to eat and visit.





We are staying at Homewood Suites 3600 Mt. Moriah Road in Durham. We got a good deal of a room there and it seemed reasonbly close to Chapel Hill and Carrboro.





This group loves brunch, having drinks at a bar and since I am southern, I love the BBQ. I was wondering about places to eat for brunch?





I have heard these are great places for brunch: Carolina Coffee Shop, Ye Old Waffle Shop, Elmo%26#39;s Diner.





I remember visiting a few bars but I heard these were decent: Rathskeller, Woodys (closed?), Carolina Ale House, Top of the Hill, Carolina Crossroads.





There was also this great pizza joint across from campus on Franklin that was just awesome. The name escapes me though.





Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this group loves BBQ, good deserts, and just good southern cooking.





We can%26#39;t wait to come down there, also if you know of any great atractions to pass the time that would be icing on the cake.





THANK YOU.



Chicago Group to UNC-Carrboro. HELP PLEASE, thank you


Just a couple of notes in response: the Rathskeller is closed (non-payment of taxes), the pizza joint you refer to is probably Pepper%26#39;s Pizza. For barbeque, head to Allen and Son on Hwy 86 north of town towards Hillsborough. For other Southern cooking, Dip%26#39;s on Rosemary St. is a good bet.



Chicago Group to UNC-Carrboro. HELP PLEASE, thank you


Dips is the BEST!!!




Definitely do Elmo%26#39;s for brunch.





As the previous poster mentioned, Pepper%26#39;s Pizza is probably what you are thinking of. It changed locations - still on Franklin, but a few doors down from where it used to be.





Top of the Hill would be a good choice for some drinks, mainly due to its location overlooking Franklin. Carolina Crossroads is a bit more upscale, located in the Carolina Inn on campus.





You should be very comfortable at the Homewood Suites. Convenient location, and I have heard good reviews from people who have stayed there.





Have a great visit!




I will second Mama Dips, best mashed potatos in the world! I%26#39;d also reccomend Ye Old Waffle Shop for brunch. They close at 2pm though. Elmos is a great pick too, but I always get breakfast there.





As for attractions if you can catch a UNC basketball game, of course. They just opened a UNC basketball museum too. …cstv.com/sports/…012208aae.html





Theres an art museum and theater on campus at UNC, and the planetarium has regular shows. It may be a little cold (and I hate to reccomend anything at Duke) but the Duke Gardens are nearby and popular. If you feel like driving a little, theres a lot in Raleigh, and the Hurricanes may be in town if you like Hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment