Monday, April 16, 2012

Beginning stages of trip

I wasn%26#39;t sure what forum to get on. I%26#39;m just starting to plan a road trip through North Carolina. Right now I%26#39;m just trying to figure out where to start and sort of a plan so I%26#39;m not criss crossing the state. I don%26#39;t haven%26#39;t definite dates yet, but will be June maybe July I%26#39;m thinking right now about ten days. We will be flying and then renting a car.

It will just be my husband and I for our 30th wedding anniversary. I%26#39;ve always wanted to see the Biltmore Estate and my husband loves the beach, so I try to hit what we both like.

Also interested in visting some water falls and to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway making, our way across the state ending up at the Outer Banks Kitty Hawks/Kill Devils Hill or Nags head. Some other things that look interesting are Chimney Rock, Boone/Blowing Rock and Beauford.

What airport would we fly into and then from the Outer Banks where do you fly out from there. I%26#39;m also going to post on the forum for the Outer Banks.

Any recommendations would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Beginning stages of trip

WOW alot of questions to answer here. We need to know what kind of budget you are on. I would fly into Charlotte if you want a cheaper flight. Fly out of Myrtle Beach SC for a cheaper flight. Give us some more info on what you like to do and visit.

Beginning stages of trip

I know sorry about all the questons. We are in our 50%26#39;s. Like history, like to walk beach, interested in the water falls, would like scenic drives. Would like to stay around places where we can easily walk to restaurants and places to hear some music or maybe just have a drink. We are really not late nigth party people. Like to get up early go to cafes etc. I know I said it%26#39;s our 30th but not really looking for anything remote as far as accommodations. We like to meet people.

The budget I guess once I get my destinations set, what we are going to see and stay then I%26#39;ll go from there. We accumulate flying miles so might not necessarily have to be the cheapst flights per se when flying. I want our road trip to flow nicely that what I really need help with. I%26#39;m not at all familiar with NC.

Would like to of course go to Ashville, Biltmore Estates and definitely wnat to go to Outer Banks.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your help.


Well let me take a stab at the scenic places to see outside of Asheville. Another local can help you on the city of Asheville itself. I also will let someone else handle you with help on the ocean side of the state.

Day 1:

Biltmore Estate and gardens. Also take the wine tour and have lunch there.

Day2:

Tour the Blue Ridge Parkway. Head north on Brp. Take in Craggy Gardens Mt. Mitchell(highest peak east of the Mississippi).Stop at all lookouts. If you get in middle June the rhodos will be in full bloom. They are beautiful. Take a side tour of Linville Falls. Continue to Boone and go to Grandfathers Mountain. Take the BRP back to Asheville. Everything looks different when you go the other direction on the BRP. This is a full day itenery so leave early.

Day 3:

This is my favorite drive in the area. Head west on the Brp from Asheville. Around milepost 407 stop at Mt. Pigsah. They have a nice giftshop there. If you go early enough have breakfast at the lodge with a beautiful view. Continue on the BRP to graveyard Fields which is near milepost Park here and hike down to Second Falls. It is a beautiful hike. Turn around here and head back east on the BRP to highway 276. Go south on 276 to the Cradle of the Forestry and tour it. Very interesting. Continue south to Sliding Rock. Park here and watch the people slide down the natural slide into a deep pool of ice cold water at the bottom. From here go south to Looking Glass Falls. It is right on the road and is the highlight of the trip to some. Park and get some pics. Continue south on 276 and take the side road to the state trout hatchery. Its free and they let you feed the fish. Nice tour here too. From here go back to 276 and follow the world famous trout stream the Davidson River until you come to the street light in Brevard.

From here follow 64 into Hendersonville. There is some nice shopping here. When you are done here follow 25 south to Flat Rock and tour the Carl Sandburg home and farm. It is very nice. Take 26/74 back to Asheville. This is also a long day itenery.

Day 4:

Head east on 74A to Chimney Rock Park. Tour the park and get some great pics. When you are done here do some shopping in the tourist town of Lake Lure. From here have lunch on the deck of the Italian resteraunt over looking the mountains and beautiful Lake Lure. You can also take a boat cruise on Lake Lure. From here head back to Asheville.

You can tour Asheville in the evenings and dine downtown. I would get you a Delorme atlas of North Carolina. It is like 18.00 but well worth it. Hope this helps. Sorry for being so winded.

Others please help with downtown Asheville and the Outer Banks area.


Bump


lee0070

Don%26#39;t apologize for being long-winded this is the exactly that kind of information that I%26#39;m looking for. thanks so much now I have some where to get started on planning.

Just one more question about flying in. Charlotte was suggested to be less expensive, but would Knoxville be closer, I%26#39;m looking at the airport cloest to get to Ashville, I%26#39;m going to have about ten days so I%26#39;m sore of pressured for time.

I did put a post on the outer banks forum so I%26#39;ll see what feedback I get there. Thanks again.


You can fly to Asheville itself. I am not sure on the prices. Charlotte and Knoxville are about the same distance from Asheville. Charlotte may be a bit closer. Might even try Greenville South Carolina. It is only any hour from Asheville the others are 2 hours.


Thanks I%26#39;ve been looking at getting tickets and Greenville keeps popping up to fly into, that would work.


Raleigh might be a cheaper option. Since Charlotte is a hub for US Air, the low cost airlines don%26#39;t fly in here. Chimney Rock is amazing! I am going there tomorrow. Th Biltmore is well worth going. The gardens and winery are the best parts of the estate. If you can, get reservations for the Stable Cafe. Great food, a little pricey, but very good.

Different idea would be to look into flying into Norfolk, VA, and drive down to the beaches and then sites on the way to the Biltmore. You can then fly home from Asheville.


%26lt;Head west on the Brp from Asheville%26gt;

head SOUTH not west. On the map it may look like the parkway goes west but follow signs South


Try this site

www.blueridgeparkway.org

They have a lot of brochures and a wonderful map of the parkway and all of the sights to see just off of the parkway. I got it last year and plan to use it on our vacation this year.

  • networking
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment