Friday, April 13, 2012

Which Beach for Us?

We would like to visit the NC Coast this summer but are not sure which beach to choose. It will be myself, my husband and our 4 yr old visiting. We usually go to Myrtle Beach but are looking for a more relaxed atmosphere this year. I have been looking at condo rentals on Top Sail Island. It seems like a nice low key place but the beach does not seem very wide and I have read about some erosion. I have also read good things about Kure and Holden Beach as ';family'; beaches. Since there are only 3 of us it would be better to have a condo then rent a house. We definitely need to have a kitchen and a pool. Prefer oceanfront/view with short walk to beach or pool. I am also concerned about the strong currents I have read about on certain parts of the coast. I don%26#39;t let my son go in the water by himself but he does like to play along the edge with his toys. I would appreciate any suggestions or tips on places anyone has stayed. Thanks



Which Beach for Us?


Your research has lead you to all the right beaches. My two favorite beaches are Kure and North Topsail. Kure is a stones throw to Fort Fisher whrere you have the aquarium, the ferry over to Southport and some outstanding beaches with really good fishing. To the north is Carolina Beach if you need those Myrtle Beach type things to do off the beach. Kure also has this little restraunt on the beach that is very inexpensive with a wonderful view and great food...I%26#39;m having one of those moments right now and can%26#39;t think of its name but its something like The Ocean Grill and Tiki Bar...or something along those lines.



In N. Topsail you don%26#39;t see erosion problems. N. Topsail is alot like Kure. I haven%26#39;t found the fishing to be as good but the beach is very similar and usually you can find the same caliber of house to rent for a little less money. In Surf City you have a little boardwalk with some Myrtle Beachy type things to do. If you go past Surf City down to Topsail there is one of my favorite seafood restraunts almost at the end...again I can%26#39;t remember its name...but it is on the ICWW/sound and it sits right beside a motel that shares it name. Great food and wonderful people who run it.



I%26#39;ve only been to Holden once and I personally didn%26#39;t like the way it was laid out. There just seemed to be so many houses. The beach was great but for some reason I didn%26#39;t fish there (if you knew me you would think this was odd). I think I just drank alot that week and did absolutly NOTHING but lay on the beach with my wife and my adult beverages. We ate at alot of restraunts there and none were good (don%26#39;t let anyone convince you otherwise) except for one. Guess what...I have no idea what it was called but if you are leaving the island...make your first left after crossing the bridge and go to the end of that little street. It was right on the ICWW and was very casual. Food was really good and not very expensive...they also had great specials on icy cold beer.



Hope I have given you some helpful info.



Which Beach for Us?


I own a house on NOrth Topsail beach (the northern most town on the island of Topsail) and I previously owned one on same island but a little further south in Surf City which is the town in the middle of the island. I think either North Topsail or Surf City would offer you great beach vacation. YOu are a little closer to things if you stay in Surf City. It is also a shorter drive to Wilmington which is nice if you have a rainy day and want to go to the movies or to the mall, etc. North Topsail has some of the newer houses and some very big houses to rent. There is beach erosion on the very north end (at New River inlet) of the beach but I don%26#39;t think there are very many rentals there. At high tide in some places along the island you will not have a wide beach. All in all, Topsail Island is on the quiet side and a great place to go with small children since you really need serious nightlife!



There can be strong currents at times, but at times the ocean is like a lake. I cannot compare to the other NC beaches you have named.



As for condos, check out Villa Caprani in NOrth Topsail beach. There are some cheaper condos to be had, but this is a nice place, right on ocean and near the bridge to the mainland. Nice pool area. I think the St. Regis in North Topsail may also have some nice rentals, but I know there is some work being done to the outside of that building. Don%26#39;tknow how long that will take.





When my son was little and before we had our house, we used to go to Sunset beach. You might check it out. Very quiet and a family beach. No condos that I recall though. But I do recall renting duplexes that were not too expensive.




Thank you both for your suggestions. I will compare condo rentals in Topsail and Kure and see which will suit us better. Looking forward to a relaxing visit to the beach!




I can%26#39;t compare Topsail to Kure because we%26#39;ve never been to Kure. But we%26#39;ve been taking our son to Topsail since he was 4. My husband really likes the island because of the relaxed atmosphere.





For the past several days, I%26#39;ve been searching the internet for a place for my mother to bring a few of her other grandchildren. I wasn%26#39;t looking for condos, but I did notice several looking ones with pools and reasonable rates. I particularly liked the looks of a small development called The Villages at Stump Sound. I suggest taking a look at vrbo.com. You%26#39;ll have to work quickly to snag a place for this summer.





About the beach erosion: The beach area can vary widely from low to high tide, especially during a full moon. But, at least where we%26#39;ve stayed, it%26#39;s never disappeared altogether. At low tide, it%26#39;s very wide.





As for riptides, I never let down my guard. Riptides are a very real concern on most of the Atlantic coast beaches, not just Topsail. But I%26#39;ve never seen in Topsail the kind of waves that break right at the edge of the surf like I%26#39;ve often seen at OC, Md. You son will have a great time playing at the edge of the waves.




I%26#39;ve never been to a North Carolina beach that didn%26#39;t have a relaxed atmosphere. The Kure Beach-Fort Fisher area is great, as is nearby Carolina Beach. Surf City is known for great fishing and Topsail is a good family beach. However, my favorite N.C. beaches are on Emerald Isle, particularly Atlantic Beach. They have the right combination of family fun and nightlife. Nearby Beaufort, former home of the pirate Blackbeared, is even better than the oceanfront beaches for its quirky, rugged stores and restaurants on the Bogue Sound.




We stayed at a great ocean-front condo in the Kure Beach/Ft. Fisher area this past summer. Ocean Dunes. It had two outdoor pools, one indoor pool, basketball and tennis courts and fitness center.



On the beach are these beautiful rocks that my kids had a blast playing on and exploring. No crowds at all. Only 10-15 minutes to Carolina Beach for resturants, shopping and arcades. And two minutes to Ft. Fisher museum, The Aquarium, and the ferry....all of which are a ';must-do'; if you go to this area!! It is a very relaxing atmosphere and the locals are so friendly! The condo we stayed in had to be one of the most comfortable, well-equiped and beautifully decorated we have ever stayed in.



Here is a link to the realtor that we used and the condo itself:





http://www.bullardrealtyonline.com/2101od




kure is a great family beach. carolina beach however is rough and redneck. youre right about the erosion. when you step into the ocean, within 3 steps the water is about 4 1/2 feet deep where they have purged sand from the ocean to put on the beach. if you can make it past the 5 or 6 foot wide ';DEEP SPOT'; youre in ankle high water. this is usually only a problem during high tide. we try to go out during low tide when the water isnt as rough and choppy. we went to myrtle at christmas and this one bad fact about kure is worth not having to deal with all the hustle and bustle at myrtle. try www.vrbo.com/#39640 for a great deal in a condo from a private owner. kure is worth a try. its quiet, pretty, safe, mostly families, older couples and men fishing off the pier! jungle rapids is a great place for the kids and a chuck e cheese is nearby in wilmington. www.junglerapids.com we like to get a passenger pass and let the kids ride the ferry to southport and back!! $1 per passenger. the aquarium is nice and new. there is a nice arcade on k avenue at the pier! have fun !


  • this works
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment