Friday, April 13, 2012

Would Fayetteville be a good weekend trip?

My best friend and I are trying to plan a ';girls weekend'; and it looks like Fayetteville is about 3 hours away for both of us. We%26#39;re both in our mid 20%26#39;s, and just looking for a decent place to spend the weekend. Is there a ';down-town'; area? Hotels within walking distance of restaurants/bars? Any help would be greatly appreciated!



Would Fayetteville be a good weekend trip?


I don%26#39;t know what you are looking for but I can%26#39;t think of one redeeming quality about Fayetteville except it hosts our men and women in uniform. I cannot imagine anyone going there for a get-away. Why not Myrtle Beach or Savannah or even Columbia or Augusta....or even Charlotte?



Would Fayetteville be a good weekend trip?



I agree. I can not see going to Fayettville unless you have a reason. Go to Concord and stay near Concord Mills or something..anything.




you might think about wilmington nc, i hear they have a pretty good night life there.




Fayetteville can get a little rough at times because of the concentration of bars catering to a very large group of military personnel stationed there.





A better choice might be Chapel Hill, a college town with a very lively and entertaining main street (Franklin Avenue). The main page of the college website has an events calendar link. Check it out. I%26#39;m sure you will find something you would enjoy. (www.unc.edu)





You might want to stay at the on-campus Carolina Inn, an impressive and beautiful brick building with a wide, colonnaded veranda. It is within walking distance of almost everything. There are also several more typical motels nearby.












I dont think it would be a good weekend trip, as the above posters have listed many good reasons, I only have stayed here just for one night on my way to other places.




We enjoyed the historic Prince Charles Hotel (Clarion Prince Charles); I%26#39;ve heard good things about MacPherson House Inn on Hay St. also. Tour historic Haymount. We really liked .... I think it was Hilltop House Restaurant in a cute historic house on Hay St. I can%26#39;t bring up its site but you can look it up. The Special Ops Museum is very interesting. Just Desserts Bakery and Cafe on Hay St....and see if La Femme du Chocolate is still in business..a small shop. Blue Moon Cafe was great.




I am amazed at the responses of some of the folks who have written about Fayetteville. Maybe you need to return and check out some of the other areas besides large bars with military men in them. I%26#39;ve lived here most of my life and I don%26#39;t know where they are. One responder mentioned the Airborne Museum which is an excellent place to tour. We have an excellent regional theatre which is one of the best in the state. Methodist College hosts all types of musical events. Our downtown has several interesting restaurants along with antique stores. Because we have the military in this area we have an overwhelming selection of restaurants. While they are not in the range of NYC or DC or Chicago, etc. as far as price, ambience or prestige, there is a variety of food choices in our area. We have a riverside park that is great for walking, jogging or bicycling. Golf courses are in every direction. Every fourth Friday our downtown has live music and other artists. Folks love to go downtown for fun. While it would not be my pick of weekend spots as a single female, I believe you need to know that there is more to Fayetteville than the military, bars and rough places. The people of Fayetteville are often offended by those who believe that our area has nothing to offer. I hope this response gives more insight into Fayetteville - a place of history, heroes and a hometown feeling.




I%26#39;m with the poster who said maybe the nay sayers should visit Fayetteville again before responding with such undeserved negative comments. I am a native of London England, and have lived in Toronto, Canada, New Orleans and Charlotte at various times in my life. I spend some time in Fayetteville just about weekly for work and I have found a lot of reasons to like it very much. I%26#39;m not sure I would recommend it for a girls%26#39; weekend (Chapel Hill and Raleigh would probably be a better bet depending on where you are coming from) - but for a weekend trip it is a fine place to visit. Hilltop House has an amazing brunch on Sunday mornings, Blue Moon Cafe is one of my favorite places to eat in the state of North Carolina and the Cameo Art House is as good or better than any independent theater I%26#39;ve been to - right now Atonement and Juno are playing. The Mash House is also a great bar/dinner place and there are many others. The Airborne museum is great and now there is Skyventure where you can ';sky dive'; without jumping out of a plane. There is good golf, horseback riding, and the downtown is lovely to wander around - especially on Fourth Friday nights. Fayetteville gets a bad rap because of the military influence, but for those who have only been here for one night, or not been here for years, it is not the horrible place that some of the posters seem to suggest. Good luck finding a suitable girls weekend retreat!

No comments:

Post a Comment