Thursday, April 26, 2012

Be weary, airline rates

I am a bit ticked at US Air, but I guess this is typical. Have been tracking fares from CLT-DCA/IAD/BWI for Thanksgiving and two weeks ago the rates were decent (under $250 R/T flying into DCA/IAD which is preferred). I waited too long and they went crazy high for the flight I wanted. I ended up booking to BWI (since it was decently priced) and DCA back because I was scared the fares would get worse. In the same day one flight was $81, two hours later it was $111, then it went back to $81 that night. The flight I wanted to take went from $81 to $569 in one day. And of course I look now and the flight I wanted to DCA or IAD is now WAAAAY cheaper and the flight home is cheaper. These crazy rate jumps not only screwed up my flight there (further distance away), but the rental car costs are now higher since I%26#39;m flying into MD and out of VA.





This is a huge warning about fares out there, be careful and if you see a fare that looks fantastic, don%26#39;t delay, book it. I don%26#39;t know what kind of games these airlines are playing, but it is extremely stressful and annoying. And I%26#39;m not a casual flier, I%26#39;m off at least twice a month on business. I%26#39;ve never seen rates fluctuate this badly before. I called US Air when this happened and they allowed me to get on an earlier flight with no charge as a one time courtesy. Just happen to think something is super fishy with these fares jumping like that back and forth. Anyone else have this experience?



Be weary, airline rates


Airfares have fluctuated since deregulation in the 1980s. It%26#39;s no secret - they change them hourly. They are in business to make money and market pushes rates. Yes, it makes us mad and it makes us feel we are being taken advantage of, but the bottom line is- they know they will fill that seat. It%26#39;s supply and demand at work. I agree with you that a low fare should be booked immediately. Best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment