Friday, April 27, 2012

Thanksgiving with late 20 somethings

I need help. We are driving 15 hours to stay with our homebody cousins that live in Charlotte for Thanksgiving. We are all in our mid to late 20%26#39;s and no kids! We aren%26#39;t totally into the bar scene everynight but we would like to have some fun and check out some cool sites as this will be our first time to the east coast. We will be in town for 6 days and we are going to the Carolina Panthers game on sunday. Please help us fill in the rest of our week and help us convince our cousins that Charlotte isn%26#39;t a boring place to live and convince us that we didn%26#39;t waste our time driving! Thank You SOOOO much in advance.



Thanksgiving with late 20 somethings


Being more than twice your age I%26#39;m sorry I can%26#39;t help you with suggestions but I%26#39;m sure some will come by and offer some tips for you. I had to chuckle that someone from Kansas would be worried about being in a boring place! LOL. No harm intended, but I drove across Kansas to Colorado once and I thought I%26#39;d lose my mind before I got out of that state! I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s a lovely place to live! No harm intended. Best wishes.



Thanksgiving with late 20 somethings


I am sure the younger crowd in Charlotte will weigh in, but back when I was young (long ago now) and we happened to be in Charlotte looking for what was happening, we checked out Creative Loafing...the local arts rag. It is now online:





鈥reativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content鈥?/a>





Do your cousins live near downtown (or ';uptown'; as locals strangely call it) or are they in the hinterlands? You may want to cab it.




Va- years ago the Charlotte Chamber chided all of us for saying ';downtown'; - they thought the connotation was too negative! LOL. So they launched this huge move to say ';uptown';. I think now they want to call it ';center city';. When I was growing up and took the bus, we interchanged the terms - going uptown, downtown, and TO town. Best wishes.




I had always wondered where that came from. From someone from ';out of town';, I always thought it sounded kinda snooty. Just one man%26#39;s opinion.




I%26#39;m around your age group and can%26#39;t say I have a lot of recommendations. I love the outdoors and there are a lot of good places here to check out, the Whitewater Center, Raptor Center, a lot of local greenway%26#39;s and trails. I don%26#39;t drink, so I could care less about the bar scene here. There are a few concert venues in town, could check their schedule on the Creative Loafing site that is linked in the above post to see who is playing. A lot of people like the Plaza-Midwood area, is a joint there called The Penguin which was featured on Diners and Dives, has a lot of charm. If you do go that way, check out the Common Market. Could also go to NoDa, the arts district, the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens or check out the huge CD selection at Manifest Records on South Blvd.





It is a shame you are driving so far though for your first trip to the east coast. Would have recommended you go a bit further north to DC if you want more excitement and six jam packed days (I%26#39;m biased since I%26#39;m from that area), as six days in Charlotte is just a long time.





You could take a day/overnight trip to Charleston, SC (a fun town) or make the four hour drive down to Atlanta or drive over to the mountains to see the trees change colors. I would recommend you plan one or two day trips, I know there have been arguments on this site, but six days in Charlotte is going to have you running out of things to do here quick, at least in my opinion. I%26#39;m sure I%26#39;ll get a lot of smack for saying that.





Whatever you decide, safe travels!




I am your age and I would suggest to head uptown at least at one poing during your stay, to check out the bars/restaurants. You can park in the parking deck on 7th street, and walk to many, many cool places. Everything from pubs to clubs, and everything in between. It can be a fun city at night, especially on the weekends! =)


  • pimple
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment